The PhD in Sustainable Chemistry is funded by Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia-FCT.
The overall admission target for the programme is 50 students per year, so candidates with alternative sources of funding , such as individual grants from the annual call of Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, will also be admitted.
The PhD in Sustainable Chemistry welcomes diversity and aims at recruiting students with a passion to perform research in one of the fields of Sustainable Chemistry. It will seek students with the intellectual maturity to be able to put forward the foundations of a well designed career plan, and who have successfully completed Masters degree in any area of Science and Technology with a sufficient Chemistry content.
Applications are open.
Currently, there are two calls open for application. Candidates applying to the ITQB NOVA call will have to select one of the ITQB projects.
- ITQB NOVA open a Call for granting 1 (one) PhD studentship
Candidates are allowed to apply for both Calls. Each application will be done in the appropriate online platform:
- LAQV-REQUIMTE online platform
- ITQB NOVA online platform
The PDQS PhD grants are for four consecutive years and, subject to the FCT regulations, currently include:
- A monthly salary of 1064,00 € (tax free);
- Annual co-payment for tuition or fees;
- Rotation laboratories (at Portuguese institutions located in different towns).
To apply for a PhD studentship it is necessary:
• To hold a bachelor or master degree in Chemistry and related areas;
• Not to be a beneficiary of a PhD studentship directly financed FCT, independently of the duration.
Solid knowledge of English language is mandatory.
The following citizens may apply to this call:
• National citizens or citizens from other member-states of the European Union ;
• Third-party states citizens;
• Stateless individuals;
• Citizens holding a political refugee status.
- The process of selecting and ranking applicants is carried out by the Coordination Committee, with the collaboration of members of the Scientific Council and, whenever necessary, external experts. Evaluation is a two-step process: in the 1st step a careful analysis of each candidate's written curriculum vitae, including the academic background, scientific experience, letter of motivation and reference letters is evaluated and the 2nd step will consist in a personal interview (in person or by video conference), of the 20 best-ranked candidates (for the LAQV-Requimte Call), and 5 best-candidates (for the ITQB Call). Candidates will receive a final mark (1 to 5) and will be ranked accordingly.
- Evaluation in the 1st step considers:
-Previous academic achievements: Masters final average mark, classifications obtained in relevant courses, especially interesting written coursework, communications in meetings and conferences, mobility, academic prizes.
-Scientific background: Research experience, research results, and impact of scientific publications are considered, taking into consideration the role played in those publications.
-Motivation letter and recommendation letters: The motivation letter should refer the goals and expectations for joining this specific Program. The reference letters will be requested in a standard template.
- Evaluation in the 2nd step includes:
-Personal interview: This is carried out by the whole committee, to confirm (or not) the impressions on the applicant’s quality generated by the appreciation of all other elements of evaluation. The final ranking score of each candidate is determined by: (1) Previous academic achievements (30%) (2) Scientific background (20%), (3) Interview, recommendation letters and motivation letter (50%)
How to apply
-Formalisation of application – applications should be made exclusively via Internet, at the following address:
- LAQV-REQUIMTE – Rede de Química e Tecnologia opens a Call for granting 12 (twelve) PhD studentships. Applications, and all the supporting documents described in this Notice of the Call, must be submitted online using the available application form at: https://v2.laqv-ucibio.info/laqv/calls/pdqs-2021
- ITQB NOVA open a Call for granting 1 (one) PhD studentship. Applications, and all the supporting documents described in this Notice of the Call, must be submitted online using the available application form at: https://phdreg.itqb.unl.pt/susche2021
- List of documents necessary for the processing of applications, being considered obligatory, at risk of exclusion, those indicated below, with the exception of 4.2.4:
- Academic Certificates - A digital copy of all academic certificates (stating the final classification), and the respective official transcripts (listing the grade/classification of each discipline/subject attended to get each degree).
- Curriculum Vitae - This document must include personal details, education and qualifications, research interests and additional skills. You also should mention your research and academic/professional standing, teaching and demonstrating experience, administrative experience, professional memberships and public engagement, prizes and references. This document must be organized so that crucial elements for the evaluations are clearly presented:
-Final marks obtained for the undergraduate degree and the Master.
-Other relevant achievements as undergraduate and Master’s student, such as marks obtained in the most relevant courses, projects and theses, mobility, academic prizes, results from introductory research work.
- Papers published with original research
- Review papers
- Oral communications to scientific conferences actually delivered by the candidate.
- Other presentations to conferences
- Motivation Letter - This document should be written in English, and should include your objectives and goals as well as your main areas of interest in the Program. Your letter should refer to specific research topics in which you wish to focus and should give your reasons for wishing to do graduate in the field you have chosen. Your statement of interest should be approximately 500 to 800 words in length.
- Two Reference Letters - You must provide the e-mail contacts of two referees following the indications of the online platform.
Note: In the case of qualifications awarded abroad, the documents should be authenticated by the official educational body of the respective country and recognised by the diplomatic authorities, or Portuguese consular authorities, or carry the apostille of the Hague Convention. The same applies to translations of documents not originally written in Spanish, French or English (translation into one of these languages is obligatory).
Dissemination of results
The results of the evaluation and ranking will be sent to the applicants by email and posted at . After being notified of the results, the candidates have 10 working days to request a hearing according to the Code of Administrative Proceedings (Código do Procedimento Administrativo). Formal contestations of the final decision can be sent to the Directive Council of Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia, IP within 15 workdays after the notification. 8. Discrimination and equal access policy: The institutions hosting the Doctoral Programme promote a policy of non-discrimination and equal access, so that no candidate can be privileged, benefited, harmed or deprived of any right or exempt from any duty due, specifically, to their ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, family situation, economic situation, education, origin or social status, genetic heritage, reduced working capacity, disablement, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, territory of origin, language, religion, political or ideological convictions or trade union membership.
The grants awarded under this call for applications shall be supported by appropriations from the State Budget of the MCTES (Ministry of Science, Technology and Higher Education/FCT) and when eligible, by funding from the European Social Fund through the Operational Programmes for the 2014-2020 programming period, of Portugal 2020, particularly the Thematic Operational Human Capital Programme, the Regional Operational Programme in the North, Centre and Alentejo region, in line with the provisions of the applicable Specific Regulation.
The funding of the grants is dependent on the receipt of the required documentation and the budgetary availability of the Funding entity.
Evaluation of applications
The applications will be evaluated by a panel composed by members of the Scientific Committee of the Doctoral Program in Sustainable Chemistry, according to regulation.
The fee for application is the fee established by the University at the time of application. Payment must be made through the payment methods provided by the application platform.
The academic calendar of this programme starts in January2021 (i.e. 1st semester of this programme corresponds to the 2nd semester of the normal academic year).
Consult the webpage: http://phdsusche.itqb.unl.pt/curricular-structure